nafex - [NAFEX] Crandall

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Crandall
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:45:13 -0600

Tom,
My Crandall currants did not spread by branches weeping over. Mine spread via underground rhizomes. They were growing in black soil rich in organic matter, pH 6.8, drip irrigation and mulched. After they were established for a season they tried to spread 4' to 6' with a new plant popping up and the rhizome continuing, not unlike Quack Grass. I gave them a dose of Round Up.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

It was written;

You'll learn that the Crandall Black Currant spreads about as much as >some
bramble
===

Hello,

Crandall currant also has the habit of weeping over. It is so loaded with
fruit it hits the ground from the fruit weight and never gets up, creating a
weeding/picking problem.

I tried to cage (over sized tomato cages) them, but they just broke branches
leaning over the side of the cage.

Crandall is a super producer of fruit. Mine were in full sun.

Later,
Tom