nafex - Re: [NAFEX] More on Aronia

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] More on Aronia
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 16:59:08 -0500 (EST)

I have some limited experience with small Aronia melanocarpa plants in a
restoration planting here. Some on droughty sand which may have been
subsoil 20 or 30 years ago, don't seem happy. Some a few feet away on
original Vineland fine sandy loam topsoil with a reasonable amount of
organic material and a respectable amount of soil moisture most of the
year, nearer the west edge of a woods, do quite well.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario
Niagara Peninsula
zone 7a

Jim Fruth in Minnesota wrote:
> Bill,
> I, going to have to side with the folks who say that Aronia will grow
> well anywhere. I have two plantings one in sand @ pH 6.5 and another in
> black dirt @ pH 7.3. Both have proven to be drought tolerant. One gets
> full sun - the other gets morning sun. BTW, I got my first 8 plants from
> Hartmann Plant Company.

Bill in Nebraska wrote