nafex - Re: [NAFEX] advice on Aronia selections

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] advice on Aronia selections
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 10:18:48 -0600

Mark,

I only have grown a seedling of 'Nero', so I can't give you any advice based
on personal observations. However, I came across an interesting paper
recently (Hovmalm, et al.) which described the results of genetic analysis
of both cultivated and wild Aronia. The better known cultivars of Aronia,
'Nero', 'Viking', 'Aron', and Aronia melanocarpa var elata, along with any
seedlings from them, were found to be genetically identical or at least
indistinguishable from each other at the genetic level. There are both
diploid and tetraploid races of Aronia, and these are all tetraploid. They
appear to either reproduce via apomixis, or they are so highly inbred, the
seedlings cannot be genetically distinguished from the parents. The
different cultivars may be sports of the same genotype, as there are some
differences reported for a few traits such as height. There is also a report
that 'Nero' has a higher anthocyanin content than 'Viking' and 'Aron' (but
identical in variety elata), and that 'Aron' has somewhat higher sugar
levels. However, these differences could be due to environmental variables.
The 4x versions typically produce identical seedlings, while the diploids
typically reproduce sexually and are highly variable.

The biggest difference you will likely see between the named selections, and
their seedlings will be the seedlings will have a juvenile period, and take
longer to fruit. Otherwise, there will likely be little difference. If you
are interested in the paper describing this work, let me know.

Hal
zn 6b, TN