nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting and callus tissue

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting and callus tissue
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:28:19 -0800

The better the fit, the LESS callus is visible on the graft. Usually the ones that show a lot of callus aren't fitted well, so the stock and scion have to produce more callus to bridge the gap. Good commercial grafts made with exact-fitting stock and scion often have nothing but a thin line of callus showing at the union.
Otherwise, try painting the union with rooting hormone, such as Dip 'N' Grow.
-Lon Rombough