nafex - [NAFEX] Huckleberry

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Huckleberry
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 07:58:32 -0600

Ginda,
Eastern Huckleberry, Gaylussia baccata, is available Tripple Brook Farm in Massachusetts www.tripplebroolfarm.com
My Black Huckleberry, Vaccinium ovatum, came from Burnt Ridge Nursery www.burntridgenursery.com but it hasn't underwent a really cold Minnesota Winter yet. Their catalog doesn't say zone 3 but I got it verbally. People tell me that I should have bought Red Huckleberry (Vaccinium parvifolium); one sent me some seed which I planted so we'll see. I'd have rather bought Black Huckleberry from a Montana nursery; they openly claim zone 3 hardiness but are provincial with their plants refusing to sell outside their home State.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

It was a west-coast huckleberry I tried to grow, helpfully provided
by a west-coast NAFEXer. I also bought some from Forest Farm.
Vaccinium Ovatum sounds right. Maybe the hardiness varies by where
the parent stock comes from? Maybe my shade is too dry? How wet is
your land? I've thought about trying east coast huckleberry, which I
know is hardy a couple climate zones north of me, but it doesn't
fruit much in the shade, and is hard to find and to transplant.
Maybe I should try Vaccinium Ovatum again. What was your source?