nafex - Re: [NAFEX] shady characters

  • From: BekeeprTop@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] shady characters
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:32:35 EST

I've been gardening almost all my life and still have trouble compiling much
of a list of what tolerates shade. In our temperate north, it seems very
little really does well in very much shade. In partial shade, I'll be trying:

ginseng
burdock, both edible japanese gobo like carrots and wild burdock to make
burdock tea
"Ornablue" variety blueberry [or other blueberry varieties, I just happen to
have this]
Oregon grape root [medicinal plant friend recommended]
currants [don't have any, I'll have to buy/swap for some]
mulberry [one or two on a trial basis]

again, deep shade and not much of anything will grow.
Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts too many trees here