nafex - Re: [NAFEX] serviceberry hunt

  • From: william anderson <dekalbman2@yahoo.com>
  • To: me@ricechex.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] serviceberry hunt
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:09:51 -0800 (PST)

Hello Chris Rice. I too am in Illinois near Jacksonville. I'm very interested in edible plants for landscaping. If you have other shoots of Aronia that you can sell or give away I am interested if you  would be willing. Thanks, Wm Anderson.

Chex <chex.rice@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm going to be buying some honeywood serviceberry plants from St
Lawrence Nursery. I think they are the only nursery that sells them
and they are highly recommended by the owner of Saskatoon Farms in
Canada. Their web address is:
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/juneberries.html

I purchaces nortline serviceberries from Raintree nursery last year
and am happy so far. Their web address is:
http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=SERV

On the subject of Aronia. When I dig up shoots and give them to
friends I have been calling it the Jelly Bush. It is very, very
productive but the fruit is best suited for making jelly as the skin
does not appeal to the taste. I made 15 pints of jelly off of one
bush that was planted in the spring of 2005 and was purchased from
Raintree. I have five of the Viking Aronia planted across the front
of my property as an edible landscaping hedge. Pretty plant.

Chris Rice
zone 5a, IL

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.