nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wineberries

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wineberries
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 05:56:56 -0500

Wineberry, fruits are usually smaller. Many of my family members prefers the wineberry over the raspberry for flavor. Too bad there's no known cultivars of it, so flavor may vary from plant to plant. I personally like it a lot.

I've seen the plant being sold at different nurseries. I have it growing wild between my hedges.

Wineberry is native ot japan and china, and was brought to the US in 1890 for breeding it with the common raspberries. Now it's considered a weed in much of eastern US.

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/ruph1.htm

Bass Samaan

zone 6, pa