nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wineberries

  • From: Peter Chrisbacher <pxbacher.ls@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wineberries
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:53:43 -0500

Their flavor is hard to describe... To me they taste "lighter" than red raspberries. They're not all that flavorful, but I like them and sometimes prefer them over red/gold raspberries... I'd say they're probably less aromatic than reds/golds though.

I suspect they wouldn't lend a lot of flavor to a wine. I bet the name has more to do with the berries' actual appearance - bright red and almost translucent - they're very attractve berries and highly productive in the right spot (partial sun seems best - a favorite patch of mine is roadside on a local river bank)

Pete Chrisbacher
SE PA - Zone 6B