nafex - [NAFEX] Honeycrisp

  • From: lewis ward <lew_ward@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Honeycrisp
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:11:50 -0800 (PST)

I just heard of Honeycrisp this past spring. Got to
try some in October. Here in the Fingerlakes of New
York State it's been the wettest season on record! So
I try the Honeycrisp. A clean bright taste, sweet but
very watery, and sub-acid. However, the flavour didn't
go anywhere the way a Jonathan, Winesap, Baldwin,
Esopus Spitzenberg, Jonagold, Mutsu or numerous new
and old varieties do.
It seemed to have been selected by a panel for the
current market. I wish I had been paying attention to
this variety in years past. Investigating the cultural
qualties and problems I wondered how it got by the
experts????
I want to learn more about this variety. In what
fruit growing areas does it do well. I understand that
historically many varieties were suited to particular
soils, climates and cultural management. It is
unrealistic to expect a variety to do well everywhere.

That's a big expectation! Knid like the difference
between big box stores and old line hardware stores
that serve different markets.
LEW, BS Cornell (Pomology'77)

Sponsored Link

Get an Online or Campus degree
Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's - in less than one year.
http://www.findtherightschool.com

  • [NAFEX] Honeycrisp, lewis ward, 11/07/2006