nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Strawberry mulch

  • From: "William Freels" <w.freels@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Strawberry mulch
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:12:10 -0600

Friends:

My father was one of the most successful at raising strawberries in Western
Kentucky in the 1940s.

The straw was scattered 1" deep over the matted row during the first
freeze. This kept the plants from freezing out of the ground during the
freezing and thawing that happened many times during the winter.

This straw was raked to the middles, between the matted rows, as soon as
freezing weather was over.

This straw in the middles kept the ground less muddy for the pickers.
Seems like picking time was always cold and rainy weather This straw
sometimes would be the reason that pickers were working in my father's
fields instead of the neighbor's ( no straw ) fields that were really bad.

Best regards, Bill Freels, Paducah, Ky