nafex - [NAFEX] Ott-3 rootstock experience

  • From: "Pete Tallman" <pete_tallman@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: paul@johnsonsnursery.com
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ott-3 rootstock experience
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:07:58 -0700

In the Fall 2006 Pomona, Paul Schwabe asked about experience with Ottawa 3 rootstock for apples. I have a few trees. As purchased as a stoolbed rootstock, its sparse roots look like they'll never make it. Benchgrafting on raw rootstock might not be the best approach. I budded in August after the rootstock was established from the spring planting. Now, 14 years later, trees are quite nicely behaved, growing on 7-ft-high wire trellis, relatively easy to maintain. This is an arid area, and trees are treated to drip irrigation. I can't speak for the hardiness.

Pete Tallman
Longmont, CO

Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and moreĀ…then map the best route! http://local.live.com?FORM=MGA001

  • [NAFEX] Ott-3 rootstock experience, Pete Tallman, 10/30/2006