nafex - [NAFEX] purple tomatoes

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] purple tomatoes
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:09:41 -0500

Donna wrote:
I did a sort of statistical analysis of comments on the "purple" and "black" tomatoes in SSE listings, and what I noted is that the people giving the rave reviews are all up north. I suspect that the heat generated in the fruit by the sun increases ripening so they taste more like our ordinary tomatoes do in the hot southern summers. Purple tomatoes sunscald in the south, which is probably one reason they don't seem all that popular down here.
Having grown purple or black tomatoes in hotter climates than Donna's (Gulf Coast Texas Zone 9b) and up north in Zone 4b, I feel qualified to disagree with Donna's assumptions......based on years of experience in both climates.

Black or purple tomatoes develop deeper colors--more black--in the South where there is plenty of heat and sun. And, the flavors are much more pronounced, much more complex than a Brandywine or Big Boy, for instance. The heat distills the flavors.

Black or purple tomatoes grown along the Wisconsin--Illinois border are dusky in color--a tepid imitation of those grown in the South. I've photographed these tomatoes in both climates, and the pictures taken in Texas sell to magazines and seed catalogs like hotcakes. Those taken here don't come close the coloration desired by the media. If you've seen a really black tomato in a catalog or magazine, chances are it's my photo.

Flavor of northern-grown purple or black tomatoes is excellent, but it's not as intense as those grown in hotter climates.

BTW, I've never had a purple or black tomatoes sunscald in the South. Make sure plants are healthy and vigorous so that they put out plenty of foliage.

My 2 cents worth on a cold, windy autumn afternoon,
Doreen Howard