nafex - [NAFEX] Ridding soil of heavy metals

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ridding soil of heavy metals
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:51:48 -0500

When I worked for Kimberly-Clark Corporation, the manufacturers of Kleenix, I managed a project intended to detoxify paper mill sludge. Paper mill sludge that contains copious amounts of cadmium as well as other heavy metals is prohibited from being landfilled. While many plants take up these heavy metals, Equisetum spp., or Scouring Rush, as it is commonly called, (We mainly worked with E. hyemale) performed the task more efficiently than any other tested plant. We dug up rhizomes and planted them in concentrated sludge. Then, at the end of the growing season, we landfilled the above-ground portion and, after a few growing seasons, the sludge was sufficiently detoxified to be landfilled.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com