nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Trace elementsr

  • From: athagan@atlantic.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Trace elementsr
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:52:43 -0400

Quoting Ginda Kaplan Fisher <list@ginda.us>:

> I read some figures on lead uptake in plants several years ago,
> when I
> was shopping for a house and testing soil for lead. Plants take up
>
> lead, but disperse it differentially though their tissues. As a
> rule
> of thumb, dark green leafy vegetables have the most lead, and fruit
> has
> the least lead. (My guess is it moves like calcium.) There's some
>
> kind of kale or something that's grown on purpose in lead-heavy
> soil to
> clean up the soil. (The crop is disposed of as hazardous waste.)
> Root
> veggies vary a lot, but can also have high lead loads, maybe just
> because they are so close to the source?
>
> Ginda

I think about this every time I harvest mustard and turnip greens out
of my garden.

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/pdfs/data/1996/150-03/15003-14.pdf

.....Alan.

This message was sent through Atlantic.Net Webmail.

Sick of pop-up ads and climbing prices?

Visit www.atlantic.net to get pure Internet for $19.95/mo.