nafex - [NAFEX] Apple Pressing

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple Pressing
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:57:15 -0500

I've had two cider presses. I built both because I was appalled at the price. The first one, back in 1973, was patterned after a picture in Mother Earth News magazine. By the time I finished remaking it twice, I probably worked for 50 cents per hour compared to what I would have spent, had I just bought it. I sold my first press.
I was older and wiser in 1999 when I bought the hardware from Bob Correll for $225 and I fabricated the rest. Back then, the least expensive Correll press was over $400, a fair price considering the time I spent. But then, I didn't pattern mine after his cheapest model. Mine is a two-station press so I can grind and press at the same time. Just buying hardware allowed me to opt out of the motor on the grinder - mine has a crank, a handy feature when I take it to a farmers' market to sell fresh-squeezed cider where electricity isn't available to operate a motorized grinder.
Both of my presses have a VERY HANDY feature that I've not seen on any commercial press. My press has an axle with two wheels and wheel-barrow-like handles for ease of moving it around.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com