nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 45, Issue 20

  • From: Bob Melvin <hasnah8@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: rfmelvin@ncsu.edu, Bob Melvin <hasnah8@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 45, Issue 20
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:47:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Mark,

To answer a couple of questions:

You are right about the phosphate, it should move rather slowly in
soil with moderately high pH like yours. (I have heard it said that on
soil suitable for highbush blueberries, phosphates move about as fast
as other nutrients.)

There is no need to worry about getting the fertilizer exactly
right. Just get a mix that's the closest to the recommendations.
Remember, you can mix in extra nutrients yourself, such as phosphate
from superphosphate if you have to to bring your mix closer to
recommendations.

Also, rock phosphate is available in some areas, and this should
last a very long time.

The term cation (pronounced CAT - ion, not KAY - shun) refers to
ions with a positive charge, such as metals and the hydrogen ion. Most
soils have some capacity to bind and re-release cations. I've heard
mixed things about the ability to exchange anions (negatively charged
ions). (Ion exchange devices for use in the home for water softening
are cation exchange columns.)

Check bags of fertilizer for sulfate content. I would think that
phosphate fertilizer might have some sulfate in it. In the days of
rampant air pollution, there was plenty of sulfate everywhere. Now
it's more rare. I have bought "sulfate of potash" in the past for this
reason.

Feel free to correspond.

By the way, your organic matter is considerably higher than most
of mine. What is your soil type?

--"Bob Melvin" <hasnah8@yahoo.com>, <rfmelvin@ncsu.edu>
Ph. 919-215-2814