nafex - Re: [NAFEX] puffball

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] puffball
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:08:18 EDT

In a message dated 9/18/2006 9:55:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, loneroc@mwt.net writes:

I tried drying slices of puffball once.  My house smelling so gaggy I've never been able to eat them again--even just plain ole fried.  I'll stick to eggplant.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3

Can't help but wonder if you tried them when the interior was brown, nearly in the spore stage?

I've sliced them, when totally white, (about 1/4 inch thick) dried them in the fruit drier then use them in cooking. No offensive odor what so ever. My wife has a sensitive nose connected to a wild imagination and would have thrown them out if any unpleasant order occurred.

Jerry