nafex - Re: [NAFEX] propagating apricots.

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] propagating apricots.
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 09:18:44 -0600

Hello all,

In my experience, storing the apricot pits dry until you wish to stratify them is not a good idea; as the seed inside dries out as well. Interestingly, the drying of seed seems most prevelant in larger seeded varieties.

I cold stratify right away since I have some grow lights in the basement and I am just way too impatient to wait! What I would recommend is storing them with moist peat moss until ready to cold stratify. Mold and fungus do not like to be jostled, so every few days move the pits around in the bag they are being stored in. Before placing them in cold stratification, clean the seed and use a new bag & peat moss.

While planting seed in the fall is much more convenient, I have had very poor results with germination and I have put too much time & effort into my crosses to have them left to chance. Actually, I baby my seedlings for 2 years in pots, then plant them out and let mother nature have a go with them. I have found that it isn't a fair assessment of hardiness by planting out seedlings in their first year; as an extremely harsh winter may take them out due to their juvenlity and not their inherent hardiness.

Dean Kreutzer
Over the Hill Orchards
www.overthehillorchards.ca
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada