nafex - [NAFEX] Cleft Grafting Tool

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cleft Grafting Tool
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:44:26 -0400

Hello,

===
Cleft-Grafting
West Virginia Universtiy - Extension service

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/treeshru/clftgrft.htm
===

You can replace the cleft grafting tool with;

machette

axe

strong knife

wide wood chisel

wood splitter's maul

sharpened piece of steel

My first graft was a cleft graft and was accomplised with a sharp axe that I gently split the parent tree with, tapping the axe gently with a hammer.

Use wax or yak butter or similar (tar if desperate) to seal off the air.

Coat the scion with wax too. Moisture loss from the scion is the primary cause for graft failure. The only moisture the scion has, until the graft union heals, is the water it retains inside it. Sealing the scion traps that moisture inside the scion. Also keeps bugs and disease out.

Buds on the scion will easily push through the wax.

Later,
Tom