nafex - Re: [NAFEX] ripening Canadice Grapes

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] ripening Canadice Grapes
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 09:19:07 -0400

Well, we went away and about half were still green, so I picked half the clusters and left the other clusters on the vine. We ate most of the redder grapes that had been picked and left the stems with the green grapes in a bowl on the table. When we returned, the green grapes on the table had turned red (but were not at all sweet) and everything on the vine had been stripped by birds.

The grapes that we ate before we left were pleasant enough, but the flavor was very mild. Is that typical of Canadice, or did we eat them under-riipe?

Sigh. . . I have two one-week vacations, and one seems to hit the grapes, the other the apricots. It's very hard to learn ripening dates to the week from descriptions. . . At least the raspberries are perfectly timed. The fall crop has just barely begun, and I'll be around to pick most of it.

Has anyone bagged grapes? I wonder if wrapping an opaque plastic bag around the cluster would discourage pests? Would it inhibit ripening?

thanks,
Ginda
eastern Mass., zone 6