nafex - Re: [NAFEX] ripening Canadice Grapes (and pears)

  • From: "Mark or Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] ripening Canadice Grapes (and pears)
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:24:33 -0500

Glenda's post reminded me that I don't really know how to tell when to pick
European pears. I've read to wait until the seeds turn brown, but that
seems to be too late, the pears are already starting to get a woody core.
Last year I picked Richardson pears (not a real high quality pear) Sept.
10th and they were still pretty hard, but woody, when ripened. I picked Red
Bartlett on Aug 30th. The seeds were still cream colored and the flesh very
hard, but they ripened beautifully (very good). This year I'm thinking the
Red Bartletts are about ready to pick because Spring started a little
earlier , but I'm really just guessing at all this. Does anyone have a
method a bit more objective?

Mark Angermayer
Zone 5 Kansas

Glenda wrote:

> This is a really dumb question, but how do I tell when my seedless
> canadice grapes are ripe? They have started to turn color, and are
> getting sweet. But I like tart fruit, and might well enjoy them
> before they are fully ripe. They are seedless, so I can't evaluat
> the maturity of the seeds. I planted the vine "blind", having never
> tasted the grape.
>
> I am going away for a week soon, and want to pick as many as
> reasonable to discourage pests (birds, squirrels, etc.) from learning
> about them. But I'd rather not pick all of them under-ripe, either.
>
> Thanks,
> Ginda

sites.
permission!