nafex - [NAFEX] Watermelon end rot

  • From: "Mark or Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Watermelon end rot
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:09:41 -0500

Hi folks,

This is the first year I have tried to grow watermelons here and I'm having
a time with end rot. The watermelons seem to grow OK, but before they get
big enough to pick, the blossom end starts rotting. What has me puzzled is
that some of the symptoms don't seem to match what I read about "blossom end
rot." To wit:

- I haven't fertilized for at least two years.
-I grow tomatoes in the same plot and haven't seen any evidence of bottom
rot.
-The end rot on the watermelon occurs in both wet weather and dry.
-The plants are watered during extended dry periods.

Here are a couple pictures of one of the rotting melons:
http://www.nafex.org/uploads/jubilee%20watermelon%20end%20rot%202.jpg 60K

http://www.nafex.org/uploads/jubilee%20watermelon%20end%20rot%201.jpg 58K

What is particularly curious is that I haven't seen bottom rot on tomatoes.
I would think, if it were blossom end rot it would affect the tomatoes too.
Or are watermelons just a lot more susceptible?

Thanks,
Mark Angermayer
Zone 5 Kansas