nafex - [NAFEX] Dehydrator

  • From: John McCuan <wawo@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dehydrator
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:55:33 -0700 (PDT)

I purchased an Excalibur dehydrator this past spring, and have been very happy with it.  I did a bit of research, and found that it was the one a lot of people who do a lot of drying recommend.  The adjustable thermostat allows relatively low temperature drying, which apparently preserves healthful enzymes, according to the raw food experts.  I got the top of the line model that has a timer, which is nice but probably not really necessary, since I'm usually around to turn it off, and one really needs to examine the food to see if it's sufficiently dry.  I put mine on the screen porch so my house won't get any hotter, and I'm afraid if it turned off and the fruit cooled down, insects might be attracted to the dried food.

You have to get that model directly from Excalibur, but lots of other online sources supply other Excalibur machines - though the prices didn't really seem any better than the Excalibur website.  If you find an advertisement in the back of a magazine or a mailer (I get a little pack of garden-related postcard advertisements periodically) with a code, you may be able to get an additional freebie with your order - I got some free jerky spice, which tasted great but I'm afraid did have MSG in it - oh well ...

Hope you find a machine that fits your needs.  Mine is out drying 2 gallons of figs right now!

Melinda McCuan

  • [NAFEX] Dehydrator, John McCuan, 08/14/2006