nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Black Walnuts

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Black Walnuts
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 09:20:27 -0500

Hey, Joe.

Just wondered how you fared in your first attempt at grafting BWs?

I got some Neel #1 and Pounds #2 scionwood from Gerald Gardner, and had several successful grafts of both. Probably my best year ever, so far as walnut grafts go - but still probably only got a 50% 'take' ratio.
If you want to try some more next year, be sure to give me a holler - I can send some Clermont(thinnest shell I've yet seen in a BW, and a high-quality kernel) and Stoker( a good quality nut, cracks easy; a sharp rap on the side with a hammer, and the shell falls apart, releasing the nutmeats in intact quarters.)
Also have several others available - Thomas Myers(Hay), Kwik Krop(Gordon Nofs' favorite BW), Daniels, Sauber, Emma Kay.

Lucky