nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pomegranate 'Wonderful'

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pomegranate 'Wonderful'
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:27:01 -0500

You are right to grow it in a container. Your 4b climate is just not warm enough to grow it outside even with mulch cover in the winter. Pomegranates do not need much chilling about 100-200 hours, so that should be no problem in your garage. The 'Wonderful' variety pomegranate is somewhat frost sensitive but is good down to 15 degrees F. There are other varieties of pomegranates that are more cold hardy but none cold hardy enough for zone 4b (outside) even with mulch. 'Wonderful' will require some pruning to keep it to container size, it is one of the larger size pomegranate varieties; there are other varieties that are dwarf in size.
You may even have some flowers this year as 'Wonderful' flowers early but it is unlikely that they will set fruit, usually on young plants they will just fall off the first 2 years, but the flowers are very showy. Good luck with your project and let us hear how it works.
Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com