nafex - [NAFEX] Pomegranate 'Wonderful'

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pomegranate 'Wonderful'
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:29:26 -0500

I received the pomegranate cultivar 'Wonderful' today which is already trained into a small tree with a trunk of about 30 inches. It's my aim to grow it in a very large container and put it into the cold garage during the winter. I live in Zone 4b, and my garage doesn't go below about 20F even on those -15 to -20F nights.

My questions:
Will it have enough dormancy in the garage?

Would I be better off planting it in the ground in a very sheltered spot and burying it in mulch every winter?

This is my first experience with pomegranates, but I'm trying because they have such attractive flowers and interesting fruit.
Doreen Howard
Zone 4b--Wisconsin-Illinois border