nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Figs

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Figs
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:00:14 -0400

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:41:48 -0400, Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net> wrote:

It is a young tree, just planted three months ago, andit is bearing a great little crop and I don't see anykind of blemish on the leaves or any insects on it!

Hi,

Is this your first fig? If so, mother nature may have some lessons in store for you. All too many times mother nature says "No deary" to many of the things I would like to grow.

I am no fig expert, but I have grown a variety of fruit, and in my experience what happens the first couple of years may have little bearing as the plant matures.

Fruit trees that become disease prone. Once upright currants that collapse or twist under the weight of fruit. New pests and diseases that arrive, some simply by introducing the plant you have selected to your planting. Micro climates that are not reliable. Freak winters. You name it.

Give your fig five years, and in ten you will have seen a lot of highs and lows. It is the challange that makes it interesting and educational.

Later,
Tom