nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 42, Issue 50

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 42, Issue 50
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:25:02 EDT

There are an incredibly large number of Japaneses Beatles in my backyard orchard. They seem to be usung my grape arbor as their base. Hand picking was futile. What spray suggestions might you have?
Kevin McCrindle, Waterloo,IA Zone 4b

Sevin works very well. Beware that if you have wild grapes, wild roses and some other favorite plants near you they should also be sprayed as they will work as a feeding source to supply next years beatles.

Traps will collect thousands of them, they work. Warning don't place them in the middle of the area you wish to protect. Not all find the trap and actually attract them to the area. My suggestion is place traps maybe 50 feet on each side of the area you are protecting. You will not get 100% protection from traps. Best bet is spray.

As someone else wrote natural predators seem to get reasonable control after about 10 years, but the problem never goes away. I also applied Milky Spore maybe 10 years ago. I suspect that is one of the natural controls now. Too bad birds natural insect taste doesn't evolve to include them. Maybe in another 1,000 years some will.

Jerry zone 5b