nafex - [NAFEX] Plum Curculio

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Plum Curculio
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 07:17:02 -0500

To Dennis Norton,
From what I've been reading about trapping Plum Curculio, a lure/trap
only works if the boles of the trees are painted white and the trap towers
are positioned near the trees. Apparently, the Curculios don't recognize
the trees as plum trees if the boles are white. Did you paint your tree
boles white?
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm

This season we thought we would use the Great Lakes traps and lures on
recommendation of our contracted entomologist. Spent several hundred
dollars and never caught a single PC but had plenty of fruit damage. In the
past 15 years, Royal Oak Farm has never found a good trap and lure that
works. The good ole "shake the tree and see what falls" method has proved
more valuable than any trap we have used. We got more damage using the
traps this year than ever before. Next year, we go back to shakin'!

For what it's worth!!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard