nafex - Re: [NAFEX] currant joke

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] currant joke
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:08:26 -0400

On Jul 17, 2006, at 7:21 PM, Richard MURPHY wrote:
. . .
Holy Smokes, people !!  WOW !!  My wife and I sampled some at the same time at a friend's house.
We both spit the berries out, and exclaimed how they smelled / tasted like Cat Tinkle  !!
Then I asked my friend, "Hey Bob; you eat these?"
Bob says, "No way man; they taste like pee"

What am I missing, guys??
Since you all seem to enjoy them so much, I know I'm doing it wrong, or maybe Bob's berries were not the right Cultivar, etc etc. I would like to try some in my garden. Are they OK fresh ??

Murph

I've tasted two kinds of fresh black currant, Consort and Titania.  Consort has much more of the skanky flavor you describe, although I don't think I would have described it as cat pee.  Titania wasn't bad fresh, out of hand, although I only tasted one, slightly over-ripe berry.  I've also had Consort cooked - just a handful of currants crushed with some sugar and put in the microwave for about a minute.  It was delicious.  So I'd say they are probably all better cooked, but osme are okay for eating fresh, too.

Ginda