nafex - Re: [NAFEX] currant joke

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] currant joke
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:23:21 -0400

Hi,

Some fruits need preperation to be enjoyed. Take quince for example. A great fruit if you cook it. A persimmon if not eaten at the height of ripeness (looks spoiled) is so astringent it will make you pucker, and you won't try it again.

I have Ben Lomond and Titania black currant, and they have the spicyness that some people do not enjoy raw. I make these spicy currants into wine and jam.

However, there are many currant varieties that have no spicyness (red currants, white currants, Crandall (black), Buffalo (black), jostaberry (black).

Your mileage may vary. Buy some black currant wine and then decide. Buy some "Ribina" concentrate and reconsider.

http://www.scotchblock.com/
http://www.englishteastore.com/bev010.html

Tom