nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Black currant taste; red rasp rot

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Black currant taste; red rasp rot
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:51:55 -0400

KQ,
Thanks for your input.  Agreed that the red and white currants taste largely similar within each group, and that there's much taste variety in the gooseberries.

As for professional tasting ability to distinguish black currants, the ability to discern levels of sugars, acids, bitterness, and total amounts and varieties of aromatics are both inherited (genetic) and learned, to various degrees.    There also are 'nontasters' in any cross section of humans, who notice no difference when presented with a range of certain flavors.

Differences are there in black currants; granted they might not be noticed because so many of us eat with our eyes:
The most popular (western) Euro black currants look much alike and are selected for a certain set of taste characters, and since so much of our modern food breeding, purchasing and presentation depends on eye appeal, these black currants come across as very similar.  I'd be curious to do two taste tests with black currants, one with blindfolded tasted testers, and one without the blindfolds, asking participants to describe the differences in the fruits.  My kids can tell you the taste differences between our black currant cultivars; they much prefer some over others.  But to look at this group of fruit, they are rather boring.
Tom noted in his post yesterday that apples have a much wider variety of tastes.  I wonder how much fruit shape, size and color variation affect our overall sensory perceptions.

Another point from me the black currant cheerleader:
Currants can hang for weeks once ripe, without fungal breakdown.  Sure beats the pants off "what to do with those ripe red raspberries before they rot".

Richard Moyer
East TN

Message: 5