nafex - Re: [NAFEX] MonArk apple

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] MonArk apple
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:29:22 -0500

At 08:51 PM 7/13/2006, Charlotte wrote:
We are promoting MonArk for an early apple in our nursery because it is
fairly easy to grow, shows some disease resistance and is truly good.
I'll have to go back and look more closely, but now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing any evidence of scab, CAR, or any other fungal disease on the MonArk tree, but in contrast, GoldRush, about 100 yards away, on the other side of the pond 'looks like a canary', as Donna would say, it's so heavily infected with CAR this year.

Jill Vorbeck touts its culinary virtues--she brought a MonArk tart to a NAFEX meeting a couple of years ago, and it is truly divine in my mother's baked apple dishes. It has
delightful complexity when cooked as well as being good for eating out
of hand.
I believe it - looking forward to heavier harvests from this one in the
future.

Lucky