nafex - Re: [NAFEX] heritage peach tree (silicon tape)

  • From: Nate <nrhora@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] heritage peach tree (silicon tape)
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:31:38 -0700

Silicon tape can be sourced from various retailers (most major big
boxes stock). Depending on your area/region, you might not be able to
get it at all. The very best is imported from overseas, heard that it
comes from some of the EU countries.

There are a couple kinds of silicon tape, one that is for grafting,
one that is not. Obviously the one not for grafting is more for arts
and crafts, but the one for grafting is of a more hardier nature (able
to resist all kinds of weather) There seems to a defict in alot of the
tape one finds. What occurs, is that the tape itself splits at the
beginning, and it's pretty hard to repair (but doable) I really don't
know a method for doing so, tried splicing a few times but that didn't
pan out so well. Anybody have any suggestions on what to do with that?
Another thing to watch out for is how to get the tape to actually
stick to the surface your putting it on. Quite frequently (even with
pressure) The tape doesn't know how to stick to the surface it was
intended for. A simple manufacturing process would fix this, but for
whatever reason I've lost the manufacutre I usualy order with (I try
to order directly, so as to save money) Going through other retailers
seem to cost quite a handful. Prehaps in the future I'll be able to
negotiate a better deal with them, but that also poses a problem, as
sometimes the managers are hard to get a hold of.