nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blood-type diet

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blood-type diet
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:14:59 -0500

Thank you all for your comments, they are similar to my own thoughts. I
feel that many elimination diets have helped people find foods that bother
them, but there are better ways to go about it than D'Adamo's. We have a
very good book on food allergies and how to do a sensible elimination diet
to find out whether foods are causing which symptoms and to identify the
offenders.

I had to laugh over Rivka's comment:
"in areas where you have some knowledge, Adamo's information appears to be
lacking.... This is generally a danger sign."
Years ago I checked out a library book on small livestock compiled from
Countryside magazine. First I read the articles on critters we'd never
raised, all very interesting and inspiring. THEN I read the sections on
animals that we DID have, and their advice was TERRIBLE. After I didn't
believe anything they said at all.
Another diet fad that has probably passed it's peak are the low carb
diets. Actually, there are very good things to say about these diets, but
when the food giants leaped on this rapidly expanding market, they dealt it
a death blow. First and foremost in my opinion: a low carb diet is a low
wheat diet. None of the big books on low carb diets contain the word
"gluten" in their indexes( I looked). That means that the authors had no
idea at all that they were ALMOST hitting the nail on the head for tens of
thousands of folks who tried their diets. These folks stumbled on a way to
feel better without being offered the important notion that gluten
sensitivity can cause depression, aches and pains, fatigue, autoimmune
diseases, weight gain, etc. That meant that whenever they ate a meal that
was low carb but contained a small amount of wheat, they felt bad again, but
they didn't know why. Some lucky ones noticed when they cheated on the
diet, that only flour products made them feel bad. I warned people I met
who were doing the diet, and all but one discovered gluten was their
nemesis, and switched to a gluten free diet, which is a lot more liberal and
healthful. (You just can't eat all those flour products that frankly don't
contain any nutrition anyway. I use rice flour to cook my cobblers and
blueberry pancakes these days.)
Initially folks doing low carb had to quit processed foods and cook from
scratch, no wonder they felt better! But now they can go buy all kinds of
convenience foods with lots of additives and bits of flour and weird sugars,
and I am quite sure that they aren't going to feel good anymore. Novices
will wonder what all the fuss was about, as the switch will merely be from
ordinary processed foods to special, very profitable processed foods. Seems
like there's always profit to be made in ruining a good thing.

Picked my first tomato yesterday, a new record. Grew the plants from
seed myself. Frost got our stone fruits and pears, but the blueberries are
loaded. My new plants of 'Ozark Blue' blueberries made a few huge fruit
already. I can sure see why U of Ark patented that one! Simmons Blueberry
Farm sent nice big plants, well worth the price. Hope you all are having
fun and keeping cool this week! Donna