nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fellenberg vs. Early Italian

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fellenberg vs. Early Italian
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:12:06 -0400

Hello,

I knew they shipped apples under-ripe, but I had not stopped to think they did the same with plums. This explains the very tart red plums my wife brought home from the market for the past two weeks.

The tartness, which was concentrated in the skin, was twist your face tart. These were a product of USA. Had great eye appeal though.

Meanwhile, about a month back, black plums from Chile were great.

I suspect that like apples, tree ripened plums are sweeter and have more complex flavors, compared to those plums which are "crate ripened".

Are there european plums for zone 5A?

Tom