nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Dollywood Persimmon on D. Lotus rootstock

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Dollywood Persimmon on D. Lotus rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:56:08 -0500

At 11:33 AM 6/14/2006, you wrote:

I grafted american persimmon "Dollywood" on Diospyros Lotus seedling,  2 years ago. The tree is about 2.5' ft tall, and already have dozen or so flowers.  I'm amazed of how early it set blooms. Can that be the variety or the rootstock that allowed it to bloom early?
I don't know.  My 'Dollywood', on D.v. has been in the ground for at least 3 years, maybe longer.  Think it may have some flowers this year - but it's been a couple of weeks since I've had time to look; I've been checking grafts to keep competing rootstock shoots from overtaking them, but have given little attention to established trees.

As far as pollenation, it is planted in my dad's yard where there's no persimmon trees in the area... would it still set fruit with out a male?
It might - if so, they'll be seedless; but there's also the possibility that without a pollenizer, none of the flowers will set fruit.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I have no male D.virginianas planted in my orchard, but there are plenty of male trees in the area, though none within at least 100 yards.  Have been getting small crops of seeded fruit from Geneva Long for several years, and it looks like some of the others, like NC-10, Yates, Weber, and Keener & Rosseyanka will be producing some fruit this year - or, at least, they're blooming.

LLP

Bass samaan

Bethlehem,  pa, Zone 6

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**