nafex - Re: [NAFEX] American plum used for Prunes

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] American plum used for Prunes
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:37:56 -0500

Nearly all plums and of course all prunes can be dried but a lot of plums are not firm enough to make a good finished product. The biggest difference is that all prunes are freestone and so many of the American and Japanese plums are not. When you remove the stone any can be dried. Commercially it only makes sense to dry freestone prunes and the few freestone plums. I am sure the plum you are trying to think of is a freestone there are a few Japanese and Am/Jp crosses that are freestone.
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com
bwoodtx@verizon.net