nafex - Re: [NAFEX] slow growing pears

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] slow growing pears
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:26:18 -0700

Please feel free to share differing stories – but we have fireblight here, and I’ve found that fertility seems to help – at least layering compost on the soil in fall, does.  I think that helps the trees’ defenses, and doesn’t cause a sudden growth spurt.  Of course, I need to follow a spray program, too.  Not that this is specific to you – you may not want to dump compost on your lawn…

Even though you’re not fertilizing the tree, roots don’t stay put – they’re under your lawn many feet from the tree, and when you fertilize the lawn, you’re fertilizing the tree.  I would try using slow-release organic fertilizer on the lawn, to hopefully make both the lawn and trees happier.

Stephen