nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Magness pear

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Magness pear
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 11:21:41 -0500

At 10:07 AM 5/30/2006, Sam wrote:
>Thanks for the info, Derry; I'll have to see if I can get some into on
>the genetic complement of Magness.

Here's info on Warren and Magness, from the NCGR Pyrus collection:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/search.pl?accid=%20PI+541299
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/search.pl?accid=%20PI+541448

My Warren on seedling pear rootstock took a minimum of 8 years to bloom and set a small crop of fruit. There are numerous other pears planted in its proximity, but none are of blooming/fruiting age - the older, bearing pears are easily 300 ft. away, on the other side of the pond.
Magness - and a half-dozen other varieties on OHxF513 should have been transplanted to the area around Warren this spring, but I just didn't get it done.

Lucky