nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Black Walnuts

  • From: "" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Black Walnuts
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 08:24:41 -0500

Joe,
Here's another 'tool' for the box.
I've been grafting nut trees for about 10 years now - mostly with low, low
success rates - until the last couple of years. One of the biggest problems
I encountered was excessive 'bleeding' of the black walnut and pecan
rootstocks, flooding the grafts. Probably, if I'd waited another month to
start grafting, I'd have avoided some of that - but I'm not long on patience.

A few years back, one of the (older)experienced KNGA members penned an
article for our quarterly newsletter on the "Sap-stopper modification of the
Gray graft"; essentially, it's a simple bark graft, but instead of completely
lopping off the top of the rootstock, you just cut 3/4 of the way through and
break to top over, leaving it attached, so that it acts as a 'sap-drawer' or
pressure relief valve. I've been doing this graft almost exclusively for the
past couple of years, and I've had virtually no problems with bleeding &
flooding of grafts. Once the scion starts pushing buds, I'll snip off the
top and pinch out terminal buds on any lower branches to keep them from
competing with the graft.

With large caliper scionwood(some of my friends sometimes send some scions 1"
or larger), I still do a 3 or 4-flap graft onto a large caliper seedling.

Lucky