nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mulching fruit trees

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mulching fruit trees
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 07:29:22 -0500

Paul Cabe wrote:

> A lot of references advise against using organic mulches when planting
> apple and pear trees. What are the major > problems with mulching? I have
> a big pile of well-aged shredded hardwood bark mulch, which I use for other
> > woody plantings.

Michael Phillips recommends a compost with lots of shredded wood in it, to
encourage fungi which are beneficial for the trees. Other organic or
near-organic orchardists that I know use shredded or chipped wood, including
prunings and other orchard materials, as mulch, and have done so for years,
with good results.

I have used chipped limbs and prunings or shredded bark when I can get it. I
don't have a chipper that can handle prunings, or I would use more as mulch.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI

<<winmail.dat>>