nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum Graft

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum Graft
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 05:52:54 -0500

Hello all,
I think someone should mention the way to avoid this is to bury the
graft/bud union 2" when you plant the tree. There is some degree of
incompatibility in even the best rootstock (somebody else's root, not my
own) and the scion will almost always self-root in time when given the
opportunity to do so. While there are good reasons to prevent this when the
rootstock makes a contribution to some expressed desirable characteristic
of the tree like dwarfing or adaptation to a particular site, if there is
no contribution made by the rootstock other than to provide a root to
propagate the cultivar on there is no reason to maintain it and probably
lots of good reasons not to - health, hardiness, and better support among
them. Certainly a hardy plum on P.americana is one such case where the tree
is better off on its own roots.
In this case I'd advise that another tree of this cultivar be planted
elsewhere and when it is big enough to take over for the old one its "off
with her head." If there is no elsewhere, the new tree can be planted
adjacent to the old one with the intention that it will take over when
ready or the old one tips over. The old tree can be pruned away to provide
the necessary light as the new one grows. In the meantime, the verticality
of the old one can be extended by tying it to a 1/2" conduit stake with
support ropes to the ground if/as needed. Ugly, yes, but thats what leaves
are for and ugly is better than horizontal.

Dave
Central MN, zone 4a