nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rubus phoenicolasius

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rubus phoenicolasius
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:12:31 -0400

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:44:33 -0400, you wrote:

>http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/ruph1.htm
>
>If I keep it under control in my yard, I'm sure birds will spread it
>elsewhere. If I try to eradicate it I will have to deal with it also
>in the patch of muck next to my property. I'm leaning toward the
>eradication, having seen what multiflora rose has done around
>here---which is NW Connecticut.
>
>Anyone have any experience with this berry?

We had lots of it when we lived in northern NJ. I picked
the berries and ate them. Very nice.

It tended to spread, and had very long canes. When we
allowed it to, it formed a fairly dense thicket. Cutting
the grass kept it under control in the lawn area, though.

I don't know what else to say about it.

Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!