nafex - [NAFEX] Primocane blackberries and heat

  • From: "Pete Tallman" <pete_tallman@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Primocane blackberries and heat
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:33:57 -0600

In Richard Moyer's recent note, he mentions cutting off floricanes before fruiting. I assume he meant to say cutting off primocanes before fruiting. I prune the tips of primocanes on primocane-fruiting black raspberries to force multiple branching to increase the final berry count. However, there is a catch. At some point in time, a node decides, somehow, to become a fruit cluster instead of a potential new branch. If the primocane is pruned above this node after this time, you reduce the fruit count instead of increasing it, because there is only part of one fruiting branch instead of having multiple fruiting branches. The descriptions I've seen of treating primocane-fruiting blackberries mirror my experience on primocane-fruiting black raspberries well enough that this caution may apply to blackberries as well. You may not be able to arbitrarily keep cutting primocanes late into the season.

Pete Tallman
Longmont, CO