nafex - [NAFEX] Seed Germination

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Seed Germination
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:16:43 -0600

Some time ago, the local Orchid Society was having trouble germinating
seed and I told them that I soak my seed in tannic acid - made sense to me
because orchid seed germinates on tree bark and the bark of many trees
contains tannic acid. I use that same technique when germinating other
difficult-to-sprout seed. I had to play with germinating times though: for
example, if parsley seed is soaked in tannic acid for longer than 12 hours,
the chances of it germinating at all decreases.
Alot of seed have an endocarp coating that must be removed before it
will germinate. Mold removes that coating from tomato, et. al. seed.
Then for seed that has dried for too long a time, a 24 hour soak in 5%
bleach solution can facilitate germination. The bleach soak is recommended
by Corvallis Germplasm Repository for some of the seeds they have been
holding.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm