nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Meader Persimmon

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Meader Persimmon
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 07:57:23 -0800

Meader may bear seedless fruit in some areas, but Jim Claypool and I debated on this a long time. I have Meader (from Prof. Meader, so I know it's true to name) and mine will set seedless fruit, but so will many others on my place that aren't close to males. Jim had heard that chestnut pollen would stimulate development of seedless persimmon fruit, and I do have several chestnuts on my place. The rub is that the chestnuts usually don't shed pollen until after the persimmons have bloomed.
My own conclusion is that there is something about the climate during bloom here that stimulates set of seedless fruit. Oh yes, the Meader did produce a male limb one time and the fruit was seeded with it on the tree.
My Meader tree was topworked to a mature tree, rather than having been planted as a new tree, and took about three years to bear.
-Lon Rombough