nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Meader Persimmon

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Meader Persimmon
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:45:19 -0600

At 07:27 AM 3/23/2006, you wrote:
    Does anyone have a Meader Persimmon?  Burnt Ridge Nursery says it will
bear seedless fruit without a male tree.  What is your experience and how
long does it tale for the tree to start producing?

Jim,
Here's a response from Jerry Lehman in a previous discussion:
"Meader is a good variety, but I frankly like John Rick (JR) better. Also Meader isn't seedless as often advertised. Several years back another person and I went to Claypool's breeding orchard and decided to compare the about 15 varieties there at his office. Some were EG, JR, Killen, Juhl (and Yates which he had gotten from Ed himself) and other lesser propagated varieties. We tried them three at a time and selected the best. Then we compared the best of those, three at a time until we came up with a winner. We both agreed, on that day, that year, Early Golden was the champion. "