nafex - [NAFEX] Microclimate for ripening Che, Jujube, Kiwi, Figs, etc

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Microclimate for ripening Che, Jujube, Kiwi, Figs, etc
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:00:02 -0500

Couple of additional considerations for Che, jujube, and other fruits that may barely ripen:

1) USDA winter hardiness, though in the original question on Che range, is not the operative issue of ripening its fruit as much as summer heat.  My Sherwood jujube bears more fruit (though still shy) against a southern brick wall and surrounded by asphalt, as compared to another Sherwood with late afternoon shade, and on a northern slope.  Ditto for fig production, far more fruit in a microclimate that maximizes heat.  This is perhaps the most important reason why che and figs ripen on the tree some years better than others.  So don't rule che out if in Zone 5-6, but do give it a warm microclimate.

2) Climacteric fruits will continue to ripen after picking.  This appears to be true for jujube, kiwi and kaki persimmons, fruits I sometime pick before just hard freezes hammer them.  But che, being in the Morus family along with figs and mulberries, does not ripen or even hold well after picking underripe fruit.

3) Figs respond well to oiling the eye, I wonder if there would be a way to keep more ethylene in Che fruit while still on the tree?  Granted that che fruit structure appears inversed related to figs.

I'll be bringing some Che plants for the NAFEX meeting auction in August in Lexington, KY.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6 east TN, where spring snow is on Nanking Cherry, plum and peach blooms.

  • [NAFEX] Microclimate for ripening Che, Jujube, Kiwi, Figs, etc, Richard Moyer, 03/20/2006